James Bay Ride...
2005-08-22, 08:47 AM (This post was last modified: 2005-08-25 02:30 PM by chiller.)
James Bay Ride...
yes, another new thread, but this one is strictly for the James Bay info/ride:

looks like there are 4 people who have voted to go....who all is going? i know so far:

1. me
2. ez
3. pivtr
4. henway
5. minidisco (unconfirmed as yet)
6. big (is in if minidisco is in)

here's the map again:

i'm going to close off any new joiners by Friday the 26th so we can have an accurate count and book hotels accordingly

[Image: chowdah.gif]

We all go riding together, we all come home together...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
2005-08-22, 08:49 AM (This post was last modified: 2005-08-22 08:50 AM by chiller.)
RE: James Bay Ride...
just a quick go over on peoples reserve light/petcock stats:

1. myself - about 300+km to reserve
2. ezrider: - about 250+km to reserve
3. pivtr: - about 200+km to reserve (pls confirm phil?)
4. mystery rider - is driving a mobile filling station...

if i remember correctly i do believe that the last stop before getting on james bay road is the town of matagami, we should make our pitstop there, for safety sake, just in case (always plan ahead) i think while on that road we should carry a bottle of water or 2, and 3-4 snack bars just in case...

2005-08-22, 09:17 AM
as it stands right now looks like we'd leave after work on fri. (i think i can leave early at 3:30pm that day, will have to confirm at a later date) we should be able to do the following schedule:

friday night: north bay (est. 450km from t.o.?)
sat. night: radisson, quebec (about 1000-1100km)
sun. night: val'dor, quebec (about 800km)
mon. night: be home (about 750km)

we should remember to also bring some "OFF" to try to keep the black flys off of us...

2005-08-22, 03:19 PM
thanks chiller.. sounds good..

a couple of things to discuss..

- can we leave earlier on friday, say by 1pm? this'll be the last long weekend of the summer and everybody will be going north to cottage country.. the earlier we leave the city, the less traffic it'll be
- north bay is about 350kms away.. we can probably make it further on the first day.. say pick a town another 100-150 kms further..
- second night, how about we spend it at chisasibi on james bay (100 kms further from radisson)..

thoughts for everyone's input..

dean: you in?

Chowdah Ridah

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence
Find all posts by this user
2005-08-22, 03:23 PM
RE: RE: James Bay Ride...
chiller Wrote:just a quick go over on peoples reserve light/petcock stats:

1. myself - about 300+km to reserve
2. ezrider: - about 250+km to reserve
3. pivtr: - about 200+km to reserve (pls confirm phil?)
4. mystery rider - is driving a mobile filling station...

if i remember correctly i do believe that the last stop before getting on james bay road is the town of matagami, we should make our pitstop there, for safety sake, just in case (always plan ahead) i think while on that road we should carry a bottle of water or 2, and 3-4 snack bars just in case...

it's a function of how agressive i ride.. i've had the reserve light come on as early as 160kms and as late as 190kms..
b.t.w. there are no cops on the james bay road.. (or so i've been told).. Evil lol
i guess we'll have to decide how we're going to ride that road and plan our gas accordingly.. i'd be on the safe side (gas wise) and give some room for speeeeed..

Chowdah Ridah

2005-08-22, 03:28 PM
pivtr, well the thing is you just have to make sure you have the gas for 381km, i would more suggest that going up is 381km and its only 229 on the other side you speed on the 229km side...LOL leave the 381 side as cruising....just my 2 cents

2005-08-22, 10:08 PM
RE: RE: James Bay Ride...
PIVTR Wrote:thanks chiller.. sounds good..

a couple of things to discuss..

- can we leave earlier on friday, say by 1pm? this'll be the last long weekend of the summer and everybody will be going north to cottage country.. the earlier we leave the city, the less traffic it'll be
- north bay is about 350kms away.. we can probably make it further on the first day.. say pick a town another 100-150 kms further..
- second night, how about we spend it at chisasibi on james bay (100 kms further from radisson)..

thoughts for everyone's input..

dean: you in?

sorry phil, missed your post

- leaving earlier on friday at 1pm...most likely can't do my normal leave time is 6pm (have to have enuff coverage) and i'm already swapped shifts (tenatively) for a 3:30pm leave time that day with someone else...

- we can go further then north bay no probs, i put down 450 thinking that's how far north bay was but yeah 450-500km that day i don't think is a problem....

as for chisasibi we could but i don't have any hotel info. on it right now, plus we'd be pulling in at night, i figured we may want to pull into chisiabi on the the morning of our leaving from radisson and go to james bay and back and then down the james bay road, see it in full daylight...

comments?

2005-08-23, 09:53 PM
k found out our mystery rider is henway and his goldwing...

2005-08-24, 01:28 AM
who is henway?

hmmm.. gold wing.. i guess if i get tired, he can carry me and the bike..

Chowdah Ridah

2005-08-24, 01:31 AM
on a serious note..

- any idea where we'll spend the first night? i'm a little concerned about traffic leaving the city.. hopefully it won't be too bad.. how about we pick a place say 450-500 kms away?

- i'll try and get some info on hotels in chisasibi.. chiller: if we leave really early on day 2, perhaps we can make it to chisasibi before dark..

Chowdah Ridah

2005-08-24, 07:30 AM
ridden with henway before he's an ok guy...

- as for choosing a place 450km away no probs, i assumed that was what we were doing, i just thought north bay was 450km away...

- i've got the info on hotels in radisson but none on chisasibi, i'll leave that in your hands phil....

- yes if we leave early early on day 2 we should be able to make it to chisasibi, i suspect is longer days up there by a bit no? or is that only in peak summer?

- has anyone verified whether or not the road to chisasibi is paved? i can't seem to find any reference to it being paved, my CAA map shows it as a dotted line which is dirt...

2005-08-24, 08:43 AM
hmm...interesting check this link:

http://jamesbayroad.com/travel/climatedata.html

looks like we will be going into one of the "wettest" months, so make sure to bring your rain gear....temps are ok tho...and snow is very unlikely but rain on the other hand looks like high chance since that is the highest month on there...

2005-08-24, 10:05 AM
the last road to chisasibi is paved (http://jamesbayroad.com/chisasibi/)

apparently its the last community accessible by road
2005-08-24, 10:13 AM
ok that simplifies it, doing a search on chisasibi, looks like s small town that doesn't have any hotels in it, tho it does have an airport....but i can't find any hotel info on google...

2005-08-24, 10:18 AM
a reference map of the area: http://www.hydroquebec.com/eastmain1a/en...sation.pdf

since the turn off for chisasibi is at the 600km mark on james bay road, and there is no info about a gas station in chisasibi, we may have to get to raddison before going to chisasibi...and the arctic ocean!